Thursday, August 5, 2010

the secret life of... corn.

Don't tell anyone, but today I broke a rule. THE RULE. THE rule I've kept faithfully all summer long. I read a book. And, if I may, it was the most glorious rebellion of my life. It was strangely magical to sit there in my camping chair and be taken away to another world, far more exciting than mine. Well I mean, that wasn't really the magical part. The magical part was the commonalities I felt with the characters.

Snacking on peaches and cherries all the day long while I immersed myself in the book was rather magical as well if I do say so myself.

I mean, where I am I now? If you've read the book May has just died. And I'm heartbroken. Every little lost friendship or opportunity is bringing me to tears. I keep reminiscing and reminiscing. This is just wacko. I just wandered the halls of my house. Peaking into rooms, watching everyone peacefully sleep or read themselves to sleep. So peaceful. So perfect. So at rest. By far this is my favorite time of day. I hold onto the night time hours  every night hoping they won't slip away. No responsibilities, no hustle and bustle, just stillness. Time to think.  I don't know what any of this has got to do with May dying and I cannot even conjure up a good relation. I'm just spewing off randomness.  

On that note of randomness, there were FLIES flittering around everywhere today at the stand. If this sounds cute or whatever, which I don't know why it would, but if it does, don't be fooled. Not cute. I had an entire bin of rotten wratermrelons this morning, which is like the most putrid smell you could ever imagine in the entire world. Which flies love. Naturally. So me and the flies and The Secret Life of Bees just had a lovely party down on 300 S. Main today. Only, it was a terrible party.

My sweet old man friend, the one who drives the red jeep cherokee and who has a family entirely composed of names which start with the letter J drove by today. I didn't have his discounted jam berries and for some reason this made my heart feel oddly heavy. It broke my heart, that I didn't have a 20 dollar flat for him and instead only 40 dollar flats dang it. He has his jell for jam already and every thing and I couldn't help. I swear I wish I would've just bought them for him.
      As he drove away he said, "It was nice seeing you today." I like how he put that, because it was.

I'll miss J. and Moreno and all my corn stand "friends" in a few weeks. But I guess soon it's time to man up again, and to put on my college girl hat and do the college girl thing. I'm scared though. It's all new. It's not going to be anything like my fairy dreamland of cherries and corn and peaches and rotten wratermrelons. Soon, life moves forward. I'm trying to catch up, I am. And I will, one way or another, I will. It will be wonderful, for I will make sure of it.

Until then I've got a good 3 weeks plenty of endless(except not really) summer days. To dream and give free samples to ferrel children and read lovely books.

Let's get to it kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment