Tuesday, August 10, 2010

97 days and expectations and reality.

You know that scene in 500 Days of Summer, where Tom is walking up the stairs to Summer's party?  Regina Spektor's "Hero" is playing. There is a split screen, one side of the screen illustrating his expectations and the other, reality. It's so poignant and bitter. But so, so real. So touching, because we've all been there, in one way or another.

Today is the 97th day of this Summer.  97 days.  I wish I could have viewed this summer from afar, from a comfortable theater seat. There would have been no one in the theater except me and a few others, but no one in front of me so me feet would be comfortably propped up on the seat in front of me. I'd have watched the story of my days gone by as a split screen just like in 500 days of Summer. The split screen, illustrated all my great expectations on one side and all the unexpected realities on the other side.

I'm pretty sure this one has a happy ending.

Point is, on May 5th, the day I aced my last final and drove home. I expected a summer full of being in "love". I expected nights under the stars and Thai food and silliness. I expected everything to be perfect, just like last summer. Everything ended up, being just that PERFECT. Just what I needed, albeit hard to swallow, but it was wonderful. I would trade the lessons I've learned this summer for any of my perfect expectations. Because reality brought much needed lessons and growth.

Independence is a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment