Sunday, July 11, 2010

summer forever.

I'll always remember you fondly, summer 2010. One thing I think I'll miss the most is all the people I get to meet and talk to while I'm working. There's something about being forced to put a smile on my face and greet people with genuine happiness that in turn brings me happiness, especially when I've been in a bad mood. I always leave happy. I have this silly thing I do. When a customer gets out of a car that looks like they are going to give me trouble or that look like they are having a bad day, I accept it as a challenge. A challenge to make sure they smile before they get back in their car.

 They always are. It's fun.


 Along with making customers happy, I enjoy the company of my "friends" (ok, customers) that come and visit me every day. I think I'll always remember Moreno when I look back on this summer job. He's mexican, about 50 years old maybe, and rides his bike past me to the bus stop in the morning and evening. On his bike he carries up to 90 lbs some days. LUDICROUS.  I see him twice a day, every day, and he's ALWAYS friendly, always. There's something to be said about that, and I truly admire that. His life circumstances are not easy. He cleans the bathrooms at conoco for free, just so he can clean up there. He, as formerly mentioned, CARRIES 90 POUNDS on his bike everyday. Rain or shine, or humid awful heat. And yet, he is happy and kind to all. Our circumstances do not determine our happiness, at least, they don't have to. Thanks for the example man, I will always try and incorporate your countenance into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment